Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Rising Sun


As you can see one of my upcoming projects will be Japanese related.I plan on doing the Japanese in WWII with an idea of basing them off the "Teishin Shudan" which were Japanese paratroopers.It's a rough outline and I need to do more research first before anything is completely decided.The time period will take place during and after the Philippines campaign where their uniform was basically the same as other Japanese infantry as they already discarded the paratroop look as their role became more as elite light infantry then as para's.
Some may be asking why Japanese WWII and the answer is threefold.The first is due to Helen Bachaus( http://tankgirl666.blogspot.com/)wonderful WWII Japanese which got my attention to this not often seen troop type.Some helpful hints would be nice Helen.:-) The second is the HBO series The Pacific which did a fine job of portraying the gritty reality of combat in this theater.Last but not least is TAG's offer of free miniatures to painters who will paint up some TAG miniatures and send the photo's in.With all three of these factors I just couldn't resist.As if that's hard to do.
For those following the German Fallschirmjäger in 28mm this is not a replacement project,but rather in addition to.I'm currently painting 15mm Fallschirnjäger while I'm waiting for ANGRIFF which is a DH supplement to figure out the platoon organization before continuing one with Fallschirmjäger in 28mm.Basically,just a short pause.The Japanese project will start small and I'll see how it goes if I want it to grow into something larger.

Cheers
Christopher

8 comments :

  1. Sounds really interesting,
    My wee wife is from Leyte Gulf, Philippines so I have managed to do a little wondering around where the landings where and have started to read up on the history a little too. Look forward to this project.
    cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Christopher please not! I am soo fixed with all the Banzai-Warrior. If you know start doing this, I am sure I have to buy loads of Brigade Games japanese...

    Stephan

    ReplyDelete
  3. By Shinto Christopher, this sounds like a fantastic project.

    You can find all the hints on my blog under Japanese an in the comments. However, as I'm currently painting Japanese I'm always improving.

    Good Luck with this venture,

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was in a Japanese restaurant in Derby last Friday... It was brilliant and your post made me hungry... :P

    Sounds like a really interesting project, provided you do as you promised and don't give up on the others. :) Strangely enough, although I liked it a lot, HBO's The Pacific did not have the same miniature madness effect on me like Band of Brothers had. Maybe because the characters were somehow not as in important in The Pacific. Somehow I never managed to warm up to them. The brutality of the conflict was just too prevalent. Still a good show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Doc,

    No question Band of Brothers was a better series and I'm more interested in general in the European theater then the Pacific.However,I did like the pacific series and combined with Helen's mini's put the idea in my head to give it a go.

    Cheers
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, Helen's Japs are really impressive and now I'm also a proud follower of her blog. Don't know how I had missed it till now.

    Well, now The Pacific is over, we only have Jackboots on Whitehall to look forward to! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. The TAG miniatures are very nice. I think you are going to make a great painting again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a matter of fact I just got the figures in the post today and they are indeed very nice!I will be buying some TAG mini's in the future!I'm finishing up some more research on the painting scheme I'll use and then get started in a day or two.I hope it works out as well as you say!:-)

    Cheers
    Christopher

    ReplyDelete